This is now becoming a bit of an adventure. We are at the Entebbe Int’l Airport waiting for our flight some 5 hours from now. When we booked this flight for Sunday, we were disappointed that it was so soon because we had so much to pack and sort and put into storage, which is usually a two day binge of hard work. With this flight we only had one day, Saturday. But the Wednesday flight we were seeking, which had originally been offered by our agent was now gone, so, finally, we took what was offered and “bit the bullet.” Saturday was a long hard day.

So  to recap, we were in the right place,  our staging and storage area Bugembe near Jinja. After cancelling the meeting we were half way through in another location, we briefly stopped  to see James and the other children, and then retreated back to Begembe, arriving early evening Friday. Late in the night, our agent rescued us from the doldrums of not having any flight during the next week by finding this flight on Emirates Airlines for Sunday afternoon. Saturday night, we were good and exhausted, and even went  to bed a little early.

Then about 11pm or so, I received a phone call from a pastor friend in one of the churches we had cancelled earlier in the week. He told me that the nightly news had just informed him that President Museveni had increased the measures against the Corona Virus by ordering all the borders closed, including the airport as of midnight Sunday. I could not believe it. We slipped in under the wire by 7 hours. If we hadn’t gotten that ticket for today, but had successfully gotten the ticket for Wednesday that we wanted, we would be stranded here for at least the next 32 days or more (again, I have no idea why he keeps setting 32 days as the restriction).

God has gone ahead of us once again to clear the way and provide, and we would have purposely chosen a different option! (“Now to Him Who is able to keep us from stumbling….”)

Additionally, this morning, though we had scheduled Alfred to come for us at 8am, I sat bolt upright at 5am. I just knew we had to leave immediately. I called him and we left for the airport by 6am. When we arrived, traveling over uncharacteristically empty roads (early Sunday morning, I think, and we have never, never made this trip in 2 and a half hours before), everything seemed relatively calm. The Airport waiting area was full, strange for 8:30 am, but all in all, it was calm. I found the last two seats and looked around – a mixed crowd, heavy on the musungus (westerners). Gail wasn’t with me. I saw that she had been stopped by a tall girl who was speaking earnestly to her. It turned out they were with a group of seven  young Spaniards who had no tickets out before the closure, so they we waiting for the offices to open in the hope of finding seats on some plane before midnight.

As the day has unfolded, I am understanding better and better the urgency of this morning. People are pouring into the airport, hoping to find a way out today. I can’t imagine what the roads are like by now. I’m glad we are not caught in it, but are sitting here peacefully waiting for our flight, tickets in hand. It is turning into a happy birthday today for Gail.

Please continue to pray as we pass along the choke points of this trip: We have to actually get on the plane to exit Uganda, and we have to get through whatever restrictions are being exercised in Dubai – once we’re on the plane in Dubai, we will know we’re getting home, because it is a direct flight to DFW – kind of unbelievable there also.