We are NOW here.

The next adventure has begun. We arrived Wednesday night In Entebbe, Uganda, after about 34 hours in transit –

an unusually efficient schedule since this trip has taken as much as 42 hours in the past. We stayed at a hotel in Entebbe until Alfred and David picked us up on Thursday morning.

Traffic to Bugembe (a suburb of Jinja) was terrible, as always. We arrived around 6:30 pm after almost the whole day doing several errands in Kampala and traveling to Bugembe. We fell asleep almost immediately, falling unconscious on the bed amid the chaos of stacked and unsorted luggage. We woke up around 9:30 pm, pushed the bags against the walls so we could walk to the bathroom, and fell into bed again for the night. After about 12 hours of sleep, we were ready to “go” on Friday morning. The first order of business was to collect the bags we’d stored with a very nice woman that always helps us with storage of the many things we don’t need to carry back and forth each trip – a pile that grows a little each time we come. Adding that to the luggage we brought for ten weeks doubled the chaos in our guesthouse lodgings. YIKES!!

After two days of sorting and organization…

Now the reality of life here in Uganda sets in. There are now eight suitcases in our room – we brought six with us this time to cover the ten weeks we will be here, and we keep two semi-retired bags here for storage. “Semi-retired,” of course, means “no longer viable for travel but usable for storage.” Bob says that’s a metaphor for us – two semi-retired bags on the edge of no longer viable for travel.

Chaotically arranged around the suitcases are boxes of bottled water, a folding table, a white board, boxes of student handouts, boxes of student books for note-taking, two laptops, a portable printer, a generator for use in the field, electrical equipment – a voltage regulator to prevent damage to our devices by surges and, because guesthouses often lack enough outlets, a multiple-outlet extension bar or two, suction hooks for the wall  to create a “closet” and “towel-rack” to hang our clothes and towels – these  are often not available in Ugandan guesthouses – and a small pathway to walk through it all! There is a lot of sorting to be done, “little by little” or mpolampola in the Lugandan language. That’s pronounced mm-poluhmm’-poluh’ – the double accent is almost impossible for our English ears to pick up.

Phone calls from various pastors where we will be ministering have also kept our phone ringing as it is time to get the details of our schedule organized and the people mobilized to come and chairs to be rented and food for lunch to be purchased and…and…

After we ran our errands to collect even more “stuff” we needed in Jinja, we drove to a neighboring town to visit one of our bishop friends who is in the hospital. He is being treated for the advanced effects of diabetes and has been very ill. He will not be able to attend and help oversee the Bible Institute on Buvuma Island next week. We will miss him very much. He always sits by me in the front row and makes sure we break for tea in the morning and lunch instead of standing and answering questions for people through the breaks. He is an important part of that ministry on Buvuma.

…we still can’t find anything…”Where did I put that…”

As overwhelmed as I feel when I look around our room, I am very excited to see what God has in store for us. Bob and I are both working on our lessons to be shared in various venues.  As always, I am a bit nervous – a reluctant but willing teacher.

Those are my thoughts for today. Thank you all for your support and prayers. It encourages me that you are with us even as you are so far away. God is good! Please remember in prayer our friend the bishop, who is now on the way to Kampala for further testing.