Well, I would love to be writing posts every day, but it’s hard to do so when there is no electricity and your battery is low. I’m sitting in the dark right now at 8 pm Uganda time – apparently a transformer blew several days ago. I think I know which one it was: it has to be the one that has been fritzing the lights off every half hour or so ever since we arrived. Then after a period of darkness, they would fritz back on for awhile. Now, however, the lights have been off for two days straight.

The only reason I’m able to write this post is that today (Monday) was my first day teaching and I powered up the computer battery with my generator, which I use to power the computer and projector for my presentations.

It’s the beginning of rainy season here, so perhaps the hard rain got to the transformer, and finished it off. No telling when they’ll get it repaired. One more day and I will have to move into the city (Jinja) and pay higher guesthouse rates just so I can work on my computer at night.

The trip so far, 5 days in, has been pretty typical. Lots of time spent finding a dependable vehicle. I had the same conversation with the current renter that I have with each of them: “OK, what will you do if this car breaks down on the side of the road? Will you come with another vehicle?”

“Oh, no, sebo (sir), this cannot happen. You will have no problem with this vehicle. It cannot be.” Now I’m sure if you’ve been following my adventures for even a short time, you can pretty much tell where this story is going.

Sunday morning we loaded up and headed out to the village where I was scheduled to preach in the little church where I will be teaching this week. Fifteen kilometers (about ten miles) down the road, the wheel bearings went out and we pulled to the side with a horrible grinding noise. There we sat for almost two hours before rescue arrived. “Rescue”  was the “owner” of the vehicle (you never really know for sure who owns the vehicle you are renting) who was now going to drive us to our destination.

So we offloaded and on loaded leaving our rented vehicle to be taken to a mechanic in the next town. We finally arrived at the distant village, a full hour of painfully bumpy dirt roads off the main road. We arrived about 12:05 to find that the pastor was “holding” the service for our arrival so that I could speak to them.

However, as I climbed out, I became aware that the driver was planning a quick turnaround – this means that he planned to leave us there and return to town to go on with his business. Now we were WAY back in the villages, miles from the main road, and his plan was to leave us there to fend for ourselves with no transportation of any kind available. So I was forced to negotiate with him additional payment, even though I had already paid to rent his vehicle which did not function, just to get him to stay until we were finished and then take us back to town.

So, like I was saying, overall a pretty typical beginning of this eight weeks in Uganda. This is Gail’s first time to be here for an entire trip (Gail is my dear wife), so this was a good way to break her in.

BTW, the preaching was OK but a bit short.